Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships
Japanese Government provides seven types of Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships for international students: “Research Students”, “Teacher Training Students”, “Undergraduate University Students”, “Japanese Studies Students”, “College of Technology Students”, “Special Training Students” and “YLP students”. Yokohama National University accepts “Research Students”, “Teacher Training Students” and “Undergraduate University Students”.
Japanese Government Scholarship students are selected in three ways: “Embassy Recommendation”, “University Recommendation” and “Domestic Selection”. Below, we will explain about “Research Student” of “Embassy Recommendation”, which is most frequently asked by international students.
For detailed information about the Scholarships such as application guideline, procedures, and deadlines, please refer to the website of “Study in Japan Comprehensive Guide” and Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your country.
- What is Japanese Government Scholarship?
- Japanese Government Scholarship FAQ
- List of Embassies/Consulates General (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships by Embassy Recommendation: How to Apply for “Letter of Acceptance”
If you have passed the first screening conducted by Japanese Embassy/Consulate General in your country, and wish to study in a graduate school at YNU, please apply for “Letter of Acceptance” by the following steps.
- Finding Academic Advisor
Please look for suitable academic advisor(s) from our university website. Although not obligatory, we recommend that you contact him/her and ask for his/her consent in advance.
- Apply for “Letter of Acceptance”
Please send the following documents to International Office (internationalynu.ac.jp) by email or by post (registered express mail) by the deadline. Please state who you wish your academic advisor to be at the time of sending those documents.
Necessary documents are:
- A copy of the certificate issued by Japanese Embassy or Consulate General in your country
- Copies of documents with the seal of Japanese Embassy or Consulate General:
- Application Form
- Application Form (Attachment)
- Field of Study and Study Program
- Academic Transcript
- Recommendation Form(s)
- Medical Certificate
- Graduation Certificate or Degree Certificate (or an attested document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable)
- Abstracts of thesis
Please be reminded that the application deadline is August 31. Any application received after the deadline cannot be accepted for any reason.
- Notification of the Result
After examining your application, International Office will send your result by email and by post. In principle, it will be announced to you by September 20.
Yokohama National University
79-1 Tokiwadai, Hodogayaku
Yokohama 240-8501, JAPAN
E-mail ： internationalynu.ac.jp
TEL ： +81-45-339-3182