1. YNU
  2. Student Life
  3. Part-time Job

Part-time Job

Obtain permission

With a student visa, international students cannot do anything for which they receive remuneration (such as a part-time job) without prior permission*. If you would like to work part-time, you must first obtain permission to engage in activity other than that permitted by your status of residence.

If you obtain an entry permit with a student visa and have received your resident card, you can apply on the spot for “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” . If you do not have this permission, please complete the designated application procedures at the immigration office of jurisdiction before you start working part-time.

With this permit, you will be able to work up to 28 hours per week, and 40 hours per week during long holidays such as summer vacation. Please note, however, that some types of work and workplaces are prohibited. If you work longer than the hours permitted, or if you do work that is prohibited, you will be subject to punishment.

*Please note that paid activities involving education or research based on a contract with the university (such as being a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant) can be conducted without “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”.

If you work part-time, please carefully consider the effects on your grades. Depending on the scholarship program, your scholarships and financial aid may be terminated if your grades fall.

YNU CO-OP part-time job referral service

YNU entrusts the part-time job (including tutor) referral service to YNU CO-OP. For more details, please see the Part-time Job Referral website (in Japanese) provided by YNU CO-OP.

Part-time Job Referrals

Request for part-time job information
79-10 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501 JAPAN
TEL: 045-331-5217
YNU CO-OP (in Japanese)

Arbeit Information Network for Students

Along with the existing YNU CO-OP part-time referral service, a job information site called "YNU Part-time Job Referral System (in Japanese)" is offered by Arbeit Information Network for Students. Please see below on how to register and use the system. You can also search your part-time jobs at “baito net” in English or some other languages, which is offered by Arbeit Information Network for Students.

How to register

  1. Open the new registration screen on the YNU Part-time Job Referral System. (You can access the site from inside and outside YNU if you have an Internet connection.)
  2. Register your e-mail address (*******@ynu.jp) issued by YNU.
  3. Your ID and password will be sent to your e-mail address (registered step 2 above) once registration is completed.

If you have any questions on your e-mail address, please contact the Student Support Division of the Student Affairs Department.

How to use

  1. Access the page of the YNU Part-time Job Referral System.
  2. Enter your ID and password.
  3. Search part-time job information you desire.
  4. If you find a part-time job that interests you, make a phone call to apply for the part-time job and confirm work conditions, etc. (Make sure to give your name, university name, and phone number to a person in charge of the part-time job offer.)

If you have any trouble (including non-payment of wages and changes in work conditions) at your part-time job, please immediately contact the Office of the Student Part-time Job Information Network (TEL: 03-5466-1236). Be sure to take responsibility for doing the part-time job you are referred to, never ask for an advance on your wages and never conduct separate negotiations.

(Student Support Division)

Page Top